TikTok is a video-based social media platform. Users create and upload videos where viewers can like, comment, stitch*, share or duet* a video. TikTok’s social media has the most user-centric algorithm. This means that everyone’s for you page* looks a little different because it is very personalized to you. TikTok personalizes your “for you page” based on the videos you watch, like, and interact with. This user-centric algorithm helps TikTok have the best organic reach* for a social media platform. This is because TikTok will take your video based on the sound or hashtags you use and put it in front of people most likely to engage with your video.
- 62% of Tiktokers are 10 to 29 years old (Statisa, 2020)
- 90% of users go onto TikTok every day (TikTok, 2019)
- Users spend an average of 52 minutes per day on TikTok (Business of Apps, 2019)
How To Start on TikTok
The number one way to start on TikTok is to just press record. Record everything and anything that revolves around your business, customers, or employees. When recording make sure you remain authentic. TikTok videos shouldn’t look like a commercial, they should blend into people’s feeds and be something that people want to watch. The last tip is to make sure you hook your audience within the first two seconds of the video. TikTok is a scrollable social media platform that makes it easy for users to scroll past if they are not interested after the first few seconds of the video.
My Personal Success
Over the course of a year, I’ve amassed over 16.3 thousand followers. I did this all through organic content. I was able to grow because I defined my target audience and then developed my videos with that audience in mind. I used hashtags, sounds, and content that were relatable to my target market. I also posted daily which is important when it comes to the TikTok algorithm.
Bonus Tip – Content Ideas
- Ask each of your employees a fun question and record how they answer
- Show something satisfying in your business
- Share a success story of your business
- Go behind the scenes and show what the customer usually doesn’t see
- Share your area of expertise – #learnontiktok is a hashtag TikTok loves to promote
- Describe how you started your business